Wests Illawarra will be re-opening in stages to members only on Monday but it is not yet business as usual.
Aster Group chief executive Daniel Munk said the club was moving forward one step at a time with minimum risks taken. There are capacity limits in each section of the club and a COVID Safe Plan to keep members and staff safe.
"It is a real privilege to be allowed to come back and we thank the NSW Government. I also want to thank out staff and members for their amazing patience," Mr Munk said.
"Next week we are doing a very simple opening to get our feet back in the water but we are not going to overstretch. We are taking baby steps because we want to make sure we get everything right.
"Our trading hours and food offerings will be a little more limited but our wonderful staff will be there to greet the members with a smile and the same level of service.
"There is light at the end of the tunnel but the important thing is to get through the tunnel. We have to avoid running too fast and not getting things right. We are treating this as a privilege and it is not one we take for granted".
Mr Munk said it was wonderful to see staff around getting things ready on Friday. They were spacing chairs and tables and putting up signs to help members understand the social distancing requirements and capacity of each area as determined by the 4m2 rule.
"On each shift there will be a COVID marshall and their role is to guide people. We are very lucky to be opening in June. A lot of us were thinking it would be a lot later. So this is a privilege".
Mr Munk said things had gone very smoothly at the Port Kembla Gold Course which opened a couple of weeks ago and the Aster Group will now consider when to reopen the club house.
Details about Wests Illawarra opening:
- The club is initially offering a simple food and beverage service, Foxtel, TAB and Keno.
- The Back Lounge and Terrace will be open and members are encouraged to pay with tap and go.
- Trading hours from Monday will be 10am to midnight Sunday to Wednesday and 10am to 2am from Thursday to Saturday.
- In addition to social distancing measures Wests Illawarra also had venue capacity numbers to adhere to. And will be recording the details of everyone visiting the venue.
- Initially the club will only be permitting Wests Illawarra members and they will not be able to sign any visitors in. Any visitor wishing to enter the club will need to join online before they arrive.
- During the initial stages of trading the club won't be hosting any of its regular promotions or activities. The courtesy bus operation is also on hold and the barber is presently closed.
- The Green Room and the children's area will not be available for use initially.
- The Craft Café & Bar will trade with a simple menu from 10am to 10pm Sunday to Thursday and to midnight on Friday and Saturday.
- Artisan Dining will re-open with a condensed menu from June 4 from 11.30am for lunch and 5.30pm for dinner with a condensed menu.
- All items from both The Craft and Artisan will be available for take-away.