Sharks edge closer to minor premiership

LEADER: Shellharbour captain Matt Carroll. Picture: RIGBY IMAGES

LEADER: Shellharbour captain Matt Carroll. Picture: RIGBY IMAGES

SHELLHARBOUR Sharks have edged another step closer to claiming the minor premiership with a 36-26 win over Gerringong in Saturday's first versus third blockbuster at Michael Cronin Oval.

The six tries to four win was the Sharks’ sixth on the trot and snapped a seven-game winning streak for the Lions. A final-round win over Nowra-Bomaderry would see the Sharks claim the minor crown, though Warilla remain in hunt after their 34-4 win over the Jets on Saturday. 

The Gorillas play Berry-Shoalhaven in their last match of the regular season and could leapfrog the Sharks on for and against if the Jets were to spring an upset. The loss sees Gerringong slip to fourth on the ladder on for and against after Kiama hammered Milton-Ulladulla. 

The Knights will like their chances of staying their when they face Stingrays next week. Having squandered a handy lead against the Lions next week, Knights coach Matt Clarke was happy with his side's response.

“We were pretty filthy on ourselves about last week,” Clarke said. "We let our standards slip a little bit but to bounce back today was really good. Our execution let us down a bit in patches, we could've been a lot better there but, it was pretty convincing in the end.

“I was bit disappointed in our completion rate but to come away 54-0, I'm pretty happy. 

“We've got a little bit to work on. It's going to another game [next week] where we might score a lot of points but there's plenty to work on and plenty of improvement.”

Meanwhile, four players from the Warilla-Lake South Gorillas and three from the Stingrays of Shellharbour have been sent notices following the ugly brawl at Cec Glenholmes Oval on August 5. Gorillas’ Nick and Jaiden King, Emanuel Sultana and Jake Davison and Stingrays’ Guy Rosewarn, Nikita Drew and Patrick Woodley were all identified at last Thursday’s special board meeting and will all front up to a judiciary hearing accused of breaching the NRL code of conduct.

“These seven players have been sent breach notices and will be expected to front up to the judiciary in the next fortnight,” Operations Manager Peter Mehl said.

Comments