Contortionists and Indigenous dancers bopping to techno music gave a taste of what’s to come ahead of Thursday night’s opening of the Wollongong Spiegeltent.
Limbo – a burlesque, cabaret circus production – is the main event for take two of the the Illawarra’s wondrous cultural big-top with shows every day until the season ends on May 6.
For the next month the antique tent will host comedians like Judith Lucy and Dave Hughes; local stars such as Circus Monoxide and So Popera; music greats like Kate Miller-Heidke and Dan Sultan; and comedy meets culture from the likes of Djuki Mala (formerly The Chooky Dancers).
On Tuesday Merrigong Theatre Company’s artist director said ticket sales were already much higher than the same time last year.
“Last year we got to a really great place and was about 15,000 people through – we’re really confident this year is going to be bigger. There are a number of acts that are close to selling out,” Hinton told the Mercury.
“[Limbo] is also selling ahead of where Velvet was last year … when people see Limbo, it’s such a very exciting experience that I think word of mouth will be amazing.”
The Spiegeltent Wollongong
- Limbo: April 12 – May 6
- Djuki Mala: April 13 – April 15
- All Our Exes Live in Texas: April 14
- Wollongong Conservatorium of Music: Jazz Orchestra featuring Nick Garbett: April 15
- Barrel of Monkeys: April 17 – April 22
- Judith Lucy and Denise Scott: Disappointments: April 17 – April 18
- Gawurra: April 19
- Kate Miller-Heidke: April 20
- The Audreys: April 21
- Made from Scratch: April 22
- Yana Alana’s Greatest Tits: April 22
- The Black Sorrows: April 24
- Dan Sultan Killer Solo Tour: April 26
- Tom Gleeson: Sure Thing: April 27
- Emma Pask: April 28
- Opera Carnivale: Mahogaonny Sonspiel: April 29
- Peter Helliar: Big Boy Pants: April 29
- Trash and Trevor: The Best of Trevor Ashley: May 3
- Dave Hughes: The Snorkeler: May 4
- So Popera: So Popera Turns 10!: May 5
- Michael Griffiths – Lucky: Songs by Kylie: May 5
- Circus Monoxide: 5 of the Seven: May 6
- Sam Simmons: Radical Women of Latin American Art, 1960 – 1985: May 6
Tickets via www.spiegeltentwollongong.com